Top Forty Things to Do ... in no particular order - ARTICLE
Things To Do and Places to Visit on the Bruce Peninsula
TOBERMORY'S TOP TEN
1) Board a glass-bottom Tour Boat and view the 19th century shipwrecks in Big Tub. Cruise the Islands of Fathom Five, see historic lightstations or take a sunset cruise along the Niagara Escarpment.
2) Visit Bruce Peninsula National Park and hike the trails at Cyprus Lake. Visit the Singing Sands at Dorcas Bay.
3) Begin or end your unforgettable trip by taking a hike on some of the most rugged sections of the world-famous Bruce Trail.
4) Disembark from a Tour Boat on Flowerpot Island and take a long hike, visit a historic lightstation or camp overnight.
5) View and photograph the many varieties of orchids, ferns and other wildflowers.
6) Enjoy the food and drink offered at one of our many restaurants - try some of our traditional, local favourite - Georgian Bay whitefish.
7) Enjoy a walk around the village harbour known as "Little Tub" and visit the shops and galleries.
8) Cruise the Chi-Cheemaun Ferry, to Manitoulin Island, the largest passenger/car vessel on the Great Lakes.
9) SCUBA dive or snorkel on the shipwrecks or see the spectacular underwater geological formations such as the Grotto in the clean, clear waters of Georgian Bay. Visit the newest dive site - the Niagara II.
10) Canoe or kayak the islands of Fathom Five National Marine Park orthe inland lakes of the Peninsula or challenge the scenic, rugged coastline along the Niagara Escarpment.
CENTRAL BRUCE PENINSUALA'S TOP 10
1) Hike the Bruce Trail in the Lion’s Head Provincial Nature Reserve and see the “Potholes” of Lion’s Head.
2) Swim and relax at Sandy Beach on Myles Bay, the most popular swimming area around. Be sure to bring your windsurfer and enjoy the pleasant waters.
3) Attend the Annual Country Music Festival in Lion’s Head. Plan to stay the night before and jam with the best of them for a good ole’ fashion musical treat.
4) Shop for unique treasures and participate in the Annual Yard Sale Trail. Then relish the food and drink of the area Restaurants.
5) Travel the 45th Parallel and be halfway to the North Pole. County Road 9 from Lion’s Head to Ferndale is almost situated on this line.
6) Visit the Cabot Head Lighthouse and view Wingfield Basin. The Lighthouse has been carefully restored by the work of volunteers who will be glad to tell you the stories.
7) Marvel at the wonders of area gardens and enjoy the many beautiful labours of love.
8) Drive the Forty Hills Road and stop at St. Margaret’s Historic Chapel. It is one of the oldest buildings on the Peninsula
9) Visit Devil’s Monument the 44’ Inland Flowerpot near Cape Chin.
10) Explore the caves along the Escarpment cliff face.
Bruce Peninsula Tourist Association
Box 150, Lion’s Head, Ontario N0H 1W0
SOUTH BRUCE PENINSULA'S TOP 10
1) Celebrate the Annual Wiarton Willie Festival in February and visit Wiarton Willie at his home year round. See the world’s largest groundhog statue.
2) Visit Bluewater Park & historic train station, picnic by the bay, enjoy the pirate ship playground, catch an evening ball game.
3) Swim, fish, boat, canoe or kayak at Red Bay, Berford Lake, Colpoy’s Bay, or Lake Huron.
4) Visit Spirit Rock Conservation Area, The Bruce Trail, Bruce Caves or explore the Sauble Falls Park.
5) Golf at three scenic locations, then stay at a historic B&B.
6) Explore and study local flowers, fungi, lichen, ferns, orchids and follow the walkways through the fens. Birds are plentiful - keep the binoculars handy.
7) Stop by the Sunday Flea Market at the Handicraft House or attend one of the local fish fry’s.
8) Take a flight over the breathtaking Bruce Peninsula area....catch a flight at the Wiarton-Keppel Airport
9) Visit local artisans, studios, craft shops and many unusual gardens.
10) Attend the Cape Croker Pow Wow in August, the Rotary Fair and Frog Jumping Contest on Civic Weekend, or the Purple Valley Maple Syrup Festival on Easter Weekend.
South Bruce Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
Box 68, Wiarton, Ontario N0H 2T0
519 534 4009
SAUBLE BEACH'S TOP TEN
1) Bask in the sun on seven miles of beautiful, clean, sandy beach alongside the clear sparkling lake, and swim, sail or windsurf.
2) Thrill to the excitement of landing a prize winning catch during one of the many fishing derbies.
3) Experience the beauty and mystery of nature in the woodlands and on the shoreline dunes. View the spectacular sunsets over Lake Huron.
4) Visit Sauble Falls during the annual salmon run or delight in the annual rubber duck race.
5) Don your lederhosen and indulge in the treats of the annual Octoberfest dance.
6) Spend the day golfing at 3 of the best courses in the area and later frolic under the stars at one of the nostalgic street dances.
7) Shop the many stores and enjoy the fun of an amusement park.
8) Glide along glistening trails blanketed with boughs of shimmering snow.
9) Excite yourself at a thrilling stock car race or thrash it out in a game of beach volleyball or soccer.
10) Take your chances on the best bingo game around.